What is asbestos and why should you have an inspection for it?

We are discussing asbestos and how it can affect you in your home. 

So what is asbestos?

Asbestos is a group of minerals that are small fibers that are heat resistant.

Now I am going to be abbreviating some of this so it is best that you go to this link that will take you to the EPA website that will give you much more information about asbestos and how you can be affected by it.

Exposure to asbestos can lead to some cancers and other diseases. Asbestos is still used today in the united states as long as it is one percent or less of the product that is being produced. It's a very effective insulator and can be used in many products including cloth, paper, cement, plastic and other materials to help make them stronger.

When asbestos dust is inhaled or ingested the mineral fibers can become permanently trapped in the body. It's important to avoid any disturbed product that has asbestos in it. Keep in mind most cases are tracked back to occupational exposure but it can be in your home.

Many of the products in your home could possibly have asbestos in it including tile, roofing, siding, insulation on your pipes and your heating ducting. Keep in mind the microscopic asbestos fibers do not have a taste nor do they have a smell to them so if you ever see anything that has asbestos in it that is disturbed and could possibly be dropping the fibers into the air, it is something that needs to be taken care of immediately.

If you find that there are asbestos  items in the home then there are options for you. You can  possibly have all of the asbestos removed from the home or you can encapsulate it so that it doesn't get outside of that enclosure.

If you think that asbestos may be in the  home then yes you should have an inspection done to find out if it is asbestos and if it is in bad condition needing attention immediately. 

If you have any other questions about asbestos please let me know in the comments and don't forget to like and share the video!